The La Cueva Farm lies in the area known today as La Cueva Historical District. In the early 19th century the governor of the New Mexico Territory granted 32,000 acres to Vicente Romero and his wife, Josefa. The Romeros tended their flocks of sheep and fished the streams and rivers on the land. They slept at night in nearby caves (“cuevas,” in spanish). Vincente named the area, “La Cueva de los Pescadores” (Cave of the Fishermen). After Vicente's death in 1881, his heirs sold off in parcels all of the Romero land holdings.
The original Romero land grant would not be restored until after the second World War. Looking to move his family to safe harbor following the war, Colonel William Salman bought the separate parcels and rejoined the original 32,000 acres.