The Cleveland Roller Mill Museum is located in a flour mill built at the end of the 19th century and operated until the early 1940's in the beautiful Mora Valley in northeastern New Mexico. The mill's machinery remains intact and has been restored significantly to the point that it can be operated for demonstration purposes.
The museum preserves the history of milling in northeastern New Mexico through photographs, documents and physical exhibits and makes this unique history available to all who wish to see it. We now are placing this history and images on the web in order to enrich the lives of people who are unable to travel to the mill site to view the museum in person.
From Santa Fe/ABQ: drive north on I-25 to Las Vegas and take exit 343, and get on hwy 518 and drive 32 miles to Cleveland, NM (2 miles north of Mora on Hwy 518.) Turn right at the Cleveland Roller Mill sign. Travel time is about 1 hour 45 minutes from SF; 2 hours 45 minutes from ABQ.
From Taos: drive 44 miles southeast on Hwy 518 to Cleveland. Watch for the Mill sign on the left side of the road and turn left at the sign. Travel time is approximately 1 hour.
The La Cueva Farm lies in the area known today as La Cueva Historical District. In the early 19th century the governor of the New Mexico Territory granted 32,000 acres to Vicente Romero and his wife, Josefa. The Romeros tended their flocks of sheep and fished the streams and rivers on the land. They slept at night in nearby caves (“cuevas,” in spanish). Vincente named the area, “La Cueva de los Pescadores” (Cave of the Fishermen). After Vicente's death in 1881, his heirs sold off in parcels all of the Romero land holdings.
The original Romero land grant would not be restored until after the second World War. Looking to move his family to safe harbor following the war, Colonel William Salman bought the separate parcels and rejoined the original 32,000 acres.
The Mora NFH is located in north-central New Mexico on the edge of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range about 1.5 miles north of Mora, New Mexico on state highway 434.
Mora NFH is dedicated to the restoration and recovery of the threatened Gila trout, a fish found only in the high desert and mountain watersheds of the Gila, Salt, and Verde drainages in New Mexico and Arizona. Biologists maintain wild brood stocks of the rare Gila trout, keeping them in as much a natural setting as possible.
The facility has the ability to keep broodfish separated in four specially designed systems, as well as hold wild fish in four separate isolation facilities. These systems are also used for emergency rescue of fish threatened by wildfire.
Mora, NM 87732
The St Vrain Mill is an excellent example of the many mills that dotted the Mora Valley in the late 1800’s, many of which were built to supply flour to Fort Union. It was built in the 1864 by Ceran St. Vrain. Efforts are being made to refurbish the mill and create a cultural center for Mora.